It is easy to establish your own named charitable fund and it can be done in less than a day. Working with a member of our staff, and your financial advisor if you choose, you will take these simple steps:
- First, determine your charitable purpose or intent.
- Select the type of charitable fund that best supports your purpose. Our staff will outline your options and discuss advantages of each. See our Fund Descriptions for some brief information about the various types of funds that we offer.
- Complete a simple governing document. Our staff will help you to complete a document that makes your intentions clear.
- Select a name for your fund. You can use your name, that of a family member, the name of a favorite cause, or choose a name that allows you to remain anonymous.
- Depending on the type of fund you establish, you may designate current fund advisors such as yourself and spouse, and successor advisors such as your children. This information will be included in your governing document.
- Make an establishing gift. See Types of Funds for the types of contributions you can make.
- Receive a tax deduction at the time the fund is established and when additional contributions are made to the fund.
Once your fund is established you can:
- Add to the fund at any time in any dollar amount.
- Specify how grant disbursements are to be acknowledged – whether in the name of the fund or anonymously.
- If you’ve established a donor advised fund you may recommend distributions to charities.